19 March saw a smashing Sunday for Metta Charity Carnival goers as Walk participants and volunteers came dressed in their best superhero costumes. With a superhero theme to the Metta Charity Carnival 2017, it represents the unsung heroes of our supporters from the stall holders, donors and volunteers who have dedicatedly served and supported Metta over the years. Gracing the event as Guest-of-Honour was Ms Jessica Tan, MP for East Coast GRC and Advisor to East Coast GRC GROs as she flagged off the morning 3-km Charity Walk around the Simei estate that preceded the Carnival. President of Metta Welfare Association, Venerable Shi Pu En delivered an opening speech and together with Ms Jessica Tan, they adorned a bamboo screen with a pair of clay butterflies adopted from Arts@Metta as a symbolism of growth to new heights and officiating the start of the Carnival. Ms Jessica Tan also presented the Scholarship Awards to 10 Metta School students who graduated in 2016 from the ITE Skills Certificate courses in Baking Practices and Facilities Technology.
Getting to and from the Carnival was also a breeze with a $5 discount promotion tie-up with ComfortDelgro through the latter’s cab booking app. Garnering among the best attractions of the day were five volunteers from the 501st Legion Singapore Garrison who came dressed as Obi-Wan Kenobi, a Starfighter pilot of the Rebel Alliance, and a host of storm troopers. A family of Spiderman and various superhero characters joined in together with an entourage of Harley Davidson bikers who came in their Harleys to pose for pictures with the public.
The Carnival also saw new vendors such as the Smoothie Bike by the Vegetarian Society (Singapore), Churros factory, Minato Singapore (sole distributor of Japanese Disney themed confectioneries) among the new stall inclusions. Entertaining the crowd with magical illusions was Tommillusions, a premium magician who works with Mediacorp on serials such as “The Truth Seekers” and “Soul Reapers”, performances by students of Metta School and Fuchun Primary School, amongst others.
Here’s What we had on that day:
- 3-km mighty walk dressed in your Superhero costume in the morning.
- Best Dressed participants won fantastic prizes.
- Vegetarian is NEVER boring with our gastronomic array of local and international vegetarian cuisine,
- Fresh lactobacillus vegetables from Kee Song Group.
- savoury kong bak paus (braised mock meat with steamed buns).
- rich and savoury lontong from Metta Day Rehabilitation Centre for the Elderly
- laksa from 观音斋.
- dim sums.
- sushi spreads.
- tahu goreng
- chee cheong fan
- churros from Churros Factory.
- candy floss, tutu kueh and steam corn from Funliciouss.
- prata with ham and cheese wrap from 大自然素食馆.
- honey from Maha karuna Buddhist Society.
- and lots more!
- Best deals of the followings.
- snazzy footwear.
- awesome bags.
- dazzling costume jewellery.
- amazing terrariums.
- electrical appliances.
- remote control planes.
- Low GI white rice which is suitable for diabetes and non diabetes from Golden Health Rice.
- Minato Singapore, established in April 2012 catering to the growing demand for exquisite gourmet food and fine wine will be bringing in food products you simply cannot resist to buy.
- educational & learning resources.
- 100% vegan and cold pressed soap.
- Blend your smoothie with the Smoothie Bike from Vegetarian Society (Singapore)
- and lots more!
- Exciting stage performances like
- Best Dressed Superhero costume for Metta Charity Walkers at 11.20am+
- Tommillusions who will Amaze, Astonish and Astound you with his magic.
- Musical performances from Fuchun Primary School.
- Circus Art, Ukulele and dance from Metta School.
- Acoustics Pop from Rendered 27 pop and R&B band.
- and lots more!
- Items inside goodie bag are sponsored by Etude House, Body Wellness, DC Comics Superhero Cafe, Goldkili, Cetaphil, Pilot Pen Singapore, Golden Health Rice, Apollo, Kwong Cheong Thye, KouFu all bundle up in M1 bag.
We would like to thank the following sponsors and donors who helped make the event a success.